A Tree Fell on Your Home During a wind storm
A common occurrence during storms is trees falling on and damaging your property. Don’t wait until it happens. Be prepared for this type of storm emergency. Here are 5 steps to take for emergency tree removal in Durham, NC.
- Trees that are old or diseased can easily succumb to flooding and windy storms. Go ahead and remove hazardous trees before a storm approaches.
- In the event a tree does fall on your property, first make sure everyone is okay. Leave your home if you feel unsafe inside the property.
- Look to see if there are any wires or power lines hanging and if they call the police and the power company.
- Call your insurance company and if you can safely do say take pictures.
- Contact your local mitigations and emergency storm cleanup provider in Durham, NC. They will place a tarp on the roof if needed. They will also carry out any board up services required and clean up any water inside the home. Boarding up parts of the home that have structural damage will help with your insurance claim and also deter any vandals while you are away from your home.
Some restoration companies advertise “mold removal” and may even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy because removing all mold from a house or business is impossible; microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Here are the facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Friendswood / Pearland?
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
A minor mold problem can quickly become a major infestation if left untreated. We can start the remediation process immediately after you contact us. A faster response lessens the mold damage, limits additional damage, and reduces the remediation cost.
We’re Highly Trained Mold Remediation Specialists
We specialize in water and mold damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have the training and expertise to safely handle any mold situation.
- Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technician
We Use Advanced Mold Remediation Techniques and Equipment
Our advanced equipment helps to detect and stop the source of water feeding the mold. We then isolate the affected area using a negative air pressure chamber.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for a “typical” mold remediation infestation:
- Emergency Contact 508-676-9100
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Common Mold Misconceptions
It’s easy to understand why many people struggle to grasp the facts and issues surrounding indoor mold because of sensational news stories and advertising cloud and obscure the real issues. Educate yourself on the facts about mold and learn about the mold remediation process.
- What is “Black Mold”?
- “Mold Removal” versus Mold Remediation
6 ways to prepare now for hurricanes
The worst thing that people who live along coastlines can do is not to prepare for tropical storms and hurricanes.
According to the National Hurricane Center, the two key factors contributing to weather safety during hurricanes are preparing in advance for the risks and to act on those preparations when alerted by emergency officials.
1. Evacuation planning
2. Buy supplies
3. Check insurance coverage
4. Make copies of important documents
5. Protect your home
6. Back up your electronics
What causes mold?
What causes mold? Spores need three things to grow into mold nutrients - cellulose (the cell wall of green plants) is a common food for indoor spores, moisture - To begin the decaying process caused by mold time -mold growth begins from 24 hours to 10 days after the provision of growing conditions. What does it take for mold to grow? Mold spores are everywhere, and they grow on any organic surface, given the right conditions. For growth, they require organic matter for food, moisture, warmth, and oxygen. To prevent mold growth, keep all surfaces clean and dry, and provide plenty of ventilation.
When your home or business has been damaged by fire, water, or storm damage, the immediate concern should be temporary protective measures such as placing roof tarps to prevent additional damage, and boarding up to secure the building and remove water and debris.
After protecting and securing the structure, professionals at SERVPRO of Fall River can begin the restoration process. Your home or business may need reconstruction work to get your property back to its preloss condition.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Fall River can simplify the restoration process by handling both the initial damage mitigation and rebuilding the affected areas. Having one qualified company for the entire process can save time and keeps costs low.
SERVPRO of Fall River can provide this continuity by supervising a full range of restoration services that will bring a building back to full functionality.
- Board Up
- Carpet Repair and Installation
- Document Drying
- Dry Cleaning
- Drywall Installation
- Drywall Removal
- Electronics Restoration
- Fine Art Restoration
- Furniture Restoration
- General Contracting
- Hardwood Floor Repair
- HVAC Services
- Linoleum Floor Repair
- Marble Floor Repair
- Move Out
- Portable Power
- Roof Tarp
- Roofing Services
- Scalable Resources
- Temporary Fencing
- Temporary Warehouse Space
- Tile Floor Repair
- Tree Removal
Myth about Mold
Myth about Mold
The myth that bleach is the only thing that kills mold, has been passed on to us from generation to generation. While there are benefits to using bleach-such as disinfecting and sterilizing-the cons of using bleach definitely outweigh the pros.
Bleach Removes Mold Stains Only
So, why do homeowners believe bleach kills mold? Because the mold stain disappears after using bleach. If you can’t see it anymore then the mold must be dead, right?incorrect! You see, mold is like a plant in the sense that it grows roots and attaches itself to porous surfaces such as drywall, concrete and even fabrics.
Bleach is Toxic
Have you ever used bleach and felt like you could barely breathe? One homeowner recently told us they had to stay out of the room for days because the fumes were so pungent.
Concrobium Mold Control
There’s a safer way to eliminate and clean mold, without exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.
- Mold clean-up during remodeling projects
- Mold and mildew treatments while painting
- Mold prevention in homes and facilities
- Musty odor control in vulnerable areas
Concrobium Mold Control dries to form an invisible antimicrobial shield that encapsulates and physically crushes mold spores.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call Us Today – (508) 676-9100
We Are IICRC Certfield
SERVPRO of Fall River has been a multi-specialty IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) certified firm years. The IICRC sets the gold standards for the Cleaning and Remediation industry, of which SERVPRO is an industry leader. The following is from the IICRC official website (http://www.IICRC.org).
”IICRC Certified Firms have earned the right to display the Clean Trust logo as a symbol of quality. In order to achieve IICRC-certified status, firms must meet a rigorous list of standards in business ethics and expertise.
"IICRC Certified Firms must:
"• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
"• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
"• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
"• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
"• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
"The IICRC actively pursues relationships with fiber producers, carpet and fabric mills, furnishing manufacturers and retailers, and others affiliated with the industry. The use of IICRC-certified service professionals is specified in leading manufacturers’ maintenance brochures and warranties.”
SERVPRO of Fall River is honored to count ourselves among the select organizations to receive these certifications. You can rest easy that we’ll get the job done right, every time!
Taking proactive steps to protect your family and property from severe storms before they hit can save lives and minimize damage to your home or business.
Severe storms including hail storms, tornadoes, floods and hurricanes cause a lot of damage in the every year. When big storms hit, many families find themselves disorganized and unprepared. When preparing for a storm, it is important to have a storm plan and make sure everyone in your home knows the plan, in case of emergency.
Having a plan increases your chances of keeping you and your family safe. If you live in an area prone to flooding, consider buying flood insurance, as flooding is typically not covered under most homeowners insurance policies. In order to stay safe, it is important to understand your risks and have a plan of action in place before the storm hits.
To prepare for a storm, each family should have an emergency kit. Since you may have to evacuate on short notice, pack your emergency kit into backpacks and have them ready to go. Everyone in the family should know exactly where the emergency kits are located.
Your emergency kit should contain:
- Battery powered flashlight
- Portable battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Prescriptions and essential medicines
- First aid kit
- Nonperishable emergency food
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person, per day)
- Non-electric can opener
- Disposable camera
- Credit cards and cash
- Change of clothing
- Sturdy shoes or boots
- Important papers, identification and bank information
Call SERVPRO of Fall River 508-676-9100.
A derecho is a large, violent, fast-moving, complex of thunderstorms that follow one another along a path of at least 240 miles, with wind gusts of at least 58 mph. Although derechos are very difficult to predict, they often form along the boundary of a large, hot air mass near a jet stream air current. Derechos can produce winds as violent as a hurricane or tornado and cause similar damage, but they are not confined to the coastal areas of the United States. While derechos can happen at any time of the year during the day or the night, typically, derechos happen in warm weather, during June and July, and in the New Enland.
Storm and flood damage require specialized restoration techniques and equipment. When a storm hits your Fall River home, you need the company with storm damage experience and expertise. SERVPRO of Fall River can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Call SERVPRO of Fall River 508-676-9100.
What to do until helps arrives on a Water Damage
Cleaning Up After a Flood
- Keep children & pets outside the affected area
- Wear proper personal protective gear (rubber boots, rubber gloves, eye protection)
- Remove & discard items that can’t be washed and sanitized (i.e. mattresses, carpet & padding, foam items, books and paper products)
- Remove & discard drywall & insulation contaminated by flood or sewer water
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize all hard surfaces
- Help drying process by strategically placing air movers and de-humidifiers
- Wash all affected clothing with hot water and detergent. It is recommended that you use a Laundromat until your on-site waste water system has been professionally inspected and serviced
- After completing cleanup wash with soap and water that has been boiled for at least one minute, to kill off bacteria still in water system.
- OR call us in 24/7 and we’ll take care of all your drying out needs.
Our Water Damage Restoration Process
Since every flood and water damage scenario is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. However, the overall water restoration process remains the same. The steps below detail our restoration process for the typical water-damaged property.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Damage Assessment
Step 3: Water Removal/Water Extraction
Step 4: Drying and Dehumidification
Step 5: Cleaning and Repair
Step 6: Restoration
Do You Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today – (508) 676-9100